TOWN OF BLAINE
August 13, 2019
Chairman Drake called the August 13, 2019 monthly board meeting to order at 6:01 p.m.
Present were Chairman Vern Drake, Supervisor Josh Fornengo, Clerk Charla Zaccardi, Treasurer Larry Holter, Ron Gallagher, Bonnie Young, Ron and Sharon Proffit, Dairyland Fire Chief, Bill Fish.
Clerk’s Report: Supervisor Fornengo made the motion to approve the July 9, 2019 board meeting minutes. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion approved.
Treasurer’s Report was provided by Treasurer Holter.
Expenses: Supervisor Fornengo made a motion to approve payment of the bills as submitted. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion approved.
Citizen’s Input: Ron Proffit shared information on the upcoming 41st Annual White Pine Logging & Threshing Show, August 31-Sept 2, 2019 in McGrath, MN. Ron is also going to inquire about what type of chemical spray is used for Gypsy Month spraying in our town. He also inquired about the status on Big Hill Road? Chairman Drake stated it will be going to court. It was also noted that Hillcrest Cemetery should be mowed with a brush hog at least two times a year to keep the brush from growing before it is to be cut regularly.
- Chairman Drake shared upcoming 2020 election dates and they will be posted.
- Gravel crushing has been completed.
- Chairman Drake shared a publication from WTA regarding supplemental payments for GTA. It was noted that the GTA has been increased by the government.
- Chairman Drake discussed the CAFO (Confined Animal Feeding Operation) and noted that restrictions have to be in place before the application is filed. Zoning is to help keep this type of operation under control. It was suggested that we still do something. Two years ago zoning was voted down in the town. We will reopen it and bring it up at our Annual Meeting.
- Chairman Drake and Ron Gallagher have signed affidavits for Burnett County Corporate Attorney that could potentially be used in court.
- Chairman Drake has shared a few photos by e-mail with folks regarding the Low Water Crossing that he had taken last Friday. He recapped the photos and what they showed. The road is closed for traffic until the culverts are repaired or replaced.
- Chairman Drake is working with the Burnett County Sherriff’s Office for the bridge damage on South Markville Road. He will contact the victim coordinator for future restitution. There was discussion on the current structure of the bridge. We will have it inspected and also reduce the weight restriction to 12 tons.
- Chairman Drake reported information on wolves in the Town of Blaine. Recently two hunting dogs perished due to wolves. It was also noted there have been more sightings in the Barrens by bird hunters.
Road Equipment Update: Ron stated that all equipment was in good condition.
Road Condition Report: Ron reported the roads are in good condition. It was noted Big Island Road will be on the road improvement program. There was discussion as to what class of gravel should be used on St. Croix Trail.
Northland Community Center: Upcoming events include the Pine County Wanderers luncheon and program on August 28th at Noon. All are welcome. September 1, 2019 is a private event, and September 8th a private baby shower. There was discussion about establishing a new policy for loaning NCC tables and chairs out to residents.
Waste & Recycle Transfer Station: No report.
- Chairman Drake mentioned we should buy a new shouldering attachment before fall. He has a quote for $7,775.00 from a company in Rice Lake.
- It was proposed that instead of installing a fence at Evergreen Cemetery, Ron Gallagher will haul boulders to surround the cemetery instead.
- Supervisor Fornengo will call Burnett Dairy Coop to see if our town could receive a better price on the pre-pay for this upcoming winter contract.
- Chairman Drake gave a brief history on the loan out procedure at the NCC for tables and chairs. He will write up a new contract for this procedure.
Supervisor Fornengo made a motion to adjourn at 7:12 p.m. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion passed. Meeting was adjourned.
Charla Zaccardi, Clerk
Signed and dated this _13th day of August 2019.
Vern Drake, Chairman