TOWN OF BLAINE
September, 13, 2016
Chairman Drake called the September 13, 2016 monthly meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
Present were Chairman Vern Drake, Supervisor Marty Pearson, Clerk Stephanie Askin, Treasurer Larry Holter, Ron Gallagher, Sharon and Ron Proffit and Matt Holter.
Clerk’s Report: Marty made the motion to approve the minutes. Vern seconded. Motion passed.
Treasurer’s Report was provided by Larry Holter.
Expenses: Expenses were reviewed. Marty made the motion to approve the bills as submitted.
Vern seconded. Motion passed.
Citizen’s Input: None
Chairman’s Report: Vern reported that a sofa was dumped at County Line Road and St. Croix Trail. Also trash was left at the site of a party in the Barrons, when Vern checked later the site had been mostly cleaned up. Town considering an ordinance covering fines for dumping in unauthorized areas. Vern met with Chris Nelson, Dick Porter from FEMA on August 29th. Dick Porter did a thorough inspection of the two bridges and the town roads that were damaged in the storm. Suggestion for the North Markville Road is to cut out metal wings and replace with concrete wings in order to funnel thru culverts more efficiently. Suggestion for State Line Spillway Bridge is to force concrete in between culverts and place a 4” concrete surface over bridge. Residents on McGraw Lake are having issues with beavers causing the lake level to rise again. Nuisance beavers are not the towns issue and residents can try contacting Tony Stelsol. Vern reviewed the town’s comprehensive plan and will tabulate the survey results at a future board meeting.
- Road Equipment Update: All road equipment is in running order.
- Road Condition Report: Ron graded Springbrook Trail today and the rest of the roads are in good shape. Ron and Vern will continue to work with FEMA on road projects.
- Northland Community Center: Everything is in good shape. There are several upcoming rentals. Cozy Corner Trails will be doing snowmobile safety training on October 8 & 9th. Webster Backpack Program will be using the NCC on October 15th for a Bake Sale and distributing jackets and other clothing to those in need.
- Springbrook Trail continues to be an issue. The Springbrook grant has been extended for one year.
- Paving of Big McGraw Road will begin on Monday, September 19th.
- Vern talked to Monarch Paving about asphalt on North Markville Road. Monarch Paving gave Vern a proposal of $6217.00 to pave section of North Markville. Marty made motion to accept the proposal. Vern seconded. Motion passed. Stephanie will mail contract to Monarch Paving.
- Marty reviewed the FLAP program. Springbrook Trail is a good candidate for the program. Marty will continue with the application.
- Zoning maps will be marked up as the Zoning Committee sees fit and residents can then ask for changes to the map.
- Vern suggested a bonus for the clerk for working elections as the county is turning over more and more of the duties of the elections to municipal clerks. Vern made a motion to compensate the clerk a bonus of $300 per election. Marty seconded. Motion passed.
- Vern reviewed the recycling procedures at the Transfer Station and provided a handout for the dump attendant to pass out to residents showing what items will be accepted at the Transfer Station.
- Board reviewed the procedure for hiring and drug testing of the town employees. Board will do more review of procedure and policy.
- The board received one application for the Solid Waste and Transfer Station attendant. Bonnie Young’s application was reviewed and Board voted to award Bonnie Young the job.
- Vern asked the board to think about possibly changing the date of Board meeting to the 3rd Tuesday of the month. Board will discuss more at the next meeting.
ITEMS TO BE PLACED ON THE NOVEMBER 15th AGENDA:
- Review of Town Ordinances
- Changing Board meeting to third Tuesday of the month.
Marty made a motion to adjourn at 7:42 pm. Vern seconded. Motion passed. Meeting is adjourned.
Stephanie Askin, Clerk
Signed and dated this 13th day of September 2016.
Vern Drake, Chairman