TOWN OF BLAINE
Tuesday, November 17, 2020
Chairman Vern Drake called the November 17, 2020 monthly board meeting to order at 6:10 PM.
Present were Chairman Vern Drake, Supervisor Jessica Estridge, Supervisor Josh Fornengo, Clerk Charla Zaccardi, Bonnie Young, Ron Gallagher, Jim Marr, John and Mona Velebir, Pastor Earl and Charmaine Leach and Tammy and Karl Baer.
Pledge of Allegiance
Clerk’s Report: Supervisor Estridge motioned to approve the October 13, 2020 meeting minutes. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion approved.
Treasurer’s Report: Mona Velebir reported.
Expenses: Supervisor Estridge made a motion to approve payment of expenditures as submitted. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion approved.
Citizen’s Input: None
1) Chairman Drake stated that East Central Energy will bury the power line and install a new security light at the town garage.
2) Chairman Drake also reported that the guardrail on Hay Creek has been repaired by the Burnett County Highway Department. Chairman Drake stated he will inquire into the crime victim process for any possible repayment options.
3) Chairman Drake stated this will be his last term and the date for the caucus for nominations for the election of town officials will be at 7:00 p.m., January 19, 2021 at the NCC with the Town Board Meeting immediately following.
Road Equipment Update: John Deere mower is in for repairs, all other equipment in good condition.
Road Condition Report: All roads are in good condition.
Northland Community Center: None.
Waste & Recycle Transfer Station: None.
1) Mona Velebir was sworn in as the Town Treasurer to fill out the remainder of the unexpired term until April 2021.
2) Chairman Drake moved item # 5 to # 2. Pastor Leach, and representatives from the Woodland Wesleyan Church, spoke regarding the church using the NCC on an ongoing basis for worship on Sunday’s from 10:30 am. to 12:00 pm. A contract including a nominal rental fee to cover the cost of utilities and cleaning will be presented to the board for approval.
3) Starting Tuesday, December 15th, all future Town Board Meetings will be held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month starting at 7:00 pm.
4) Chairman Drake signed the North Lakes Mechanical Consulting Services, Inc., contract with Dennis Quinn to continue as the building inspector for Blaine in 2021. Supervisor Estridge motioned to approve Dennis Quinn as the building inspector for 2021, Supervisor Fornengo seconded the motion. Motion approved.
5) Chairman Drake passed out copies of the Town of Blaine 2021 Budget. Supervisor Estridge made a motion to approve the Town of Blaine 2021 Budget. Supervisor Fornengo seconded the motion. Motion approved.
6) Chairman Drake gave some background on UTV/ATV use on town roads. The number and size of these machines has increased dramatically over the past couple of years and serious issues have been brought forward that the Town of Blaine needs to address: 1) Safety of riders and also, normal vehicular traffic. These machines were designed to run on specific trails, and not on roads used by highway vehicles. 2) Impact on the way of life: With the inundation of so many machines on town roads it is being viewed by many as an encroachment upon their way of life. 3) Damage caused to town roads, and the significant added operational and equipment maintenance costs to keep the roads in good condition. The Town Board is open to hearing viable solutions and a special meeting will be set at a later date for those in the community, including business owners and trail club members to discuss possible options to deal with this issue.
7) Chairman Drake asked the board and the town property owners to once again consider adopting County zoning for the Town of Blaine. The board will keep this as a potential agenda item in the future.
Supervisor Fornengo made a motion to adjourn at 7:42 pm. Supervisor Estridge seconded. Motion passed. Meeting was adjourned.
Charla Zaccardi, Clerk
Signed and dated this 17th day of November, 2020
Vern Drake, Chairman