TOWN OF BLAINE
February 12, 2019
Chairman Drake called the February 12, 2019 monthly board meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
Present were Chairman Vern Drake, Supervisor Dan Ellefson, Clerk Charla Zaccardi, Treasurer Larry Holter, Brian Holter, Josh Proffit, Ron Gallagher, Bonnie Young and Ron and Sharon Proffit.
Clerk’s Report: Supervisor Ellefson made the motion to approve the January 8, 2019 board meeting minutes. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion approved.
Treasurer’s Report was provided by Treasurer Holter.
Expenses: Supervisor Ellefson made a motion to approve payment of the bills as submitted. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion approved.
Citizen’s Input: Bryan Holter stated he and other parents appreciate the plowing and sanding Ron Gallagher has done in the Big Island area and the bus routes during the recent snowfalls.
Chairman’s Report: 1) Logging on private property will be taking place along Big McGraw Road. 2) Chairman Drake reported that a survey for wages and salaries in Burnett County has been sent out and about a half dozen have been returned. Once surveys are returned the WTA will share the results. The Town of Blaine has a Life Insurance benefit for employees and board members. Supervisor Estridge will look into premium costs. 3) Chairman Drake shared information about a major effort to establish the Northwest Sands Auto Tour from St. Croix Falls to Bayfield, part of the tour goes through the Town of Blaine.
Road Equipment Update: Equipment is in good condition. The truck has been serviced and new belts have been installed. There was a discussion regarding using the wing blade with the grader and this is typically done to push the plowed snow back to make room for future snowplowing.
Road Condition Report: It was noted there are quite a few logging trucks going on both North and South Markville Road and with the icy and snow packed roads it’s a concern for some motorists. Chairman Drake will contact the logging company and ask if their trucks could slow down during these road conditions.
Northland Community Center: The Woodland Wesleyan Church is sponsoring a lumberjack meal on Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. The community is invited.
Waste & Recycle Transfer Station: None
- Chairman Drake received information from Supervisor Ellefson that asbestos removal has been done at the old town hall. We are waiting for Jeremy to let us know when dumpsters need to be there. Weather, snow, and cold have been a factor in getting it done.
- Eric Hallen would like to have a photo taken with a couple of board members for the donated AED – Automated External Defibrillator for SCA (Sudden Cardiac Arrest) for the NCC. Eric will try to make a future board meeting dependent on weather.
- Chairman Drake reviewed the three major road projects to attendees as being 1) South Markville Road, 2) North Markville Road culvert “bridge” and 3) Low Water Crossing on State Line Road. Dan Mortenson from Cooper Engineering reported to Chairman Drake that N. Markville Road survey indicated the crossing is undersized. They also reported that South Markville Road has a large amount of wetland to fill. The DNR will be ready to help with that. The Low Water Crossing on State Line Road will be held off until spring.
- We received a notice from Burnett County Forest and Parks for a grant offering, but we will hold off on that for this year.
- Chairman Drake recommended that we join the Town Advocacy County (TAC) a subsidiary of the Wisconsin Towns Association. Supervisor Ellefson made a motion to join the TAC. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion passed. Fees are based on population so for Blaine it will be less than $50.
- Chairman Drake read and shared a handout of the first draft of the Town of Blaine’s Winter Road Maintenance Policy. We will post the policy on the website after it’s been formalized. Chairman Drake would appreciate suggestions for improvement of this policy.
ITEMS TO BE PLACED ON THE MARCH AGENDA:
Supervisor Ellefson made a motion to adjourn at 6:55 p.m. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion passed. Meeting was adjourned.
Charla Zaccardi, Clerk
Signed and dated this _12th day of February 2019.
Vern Drake, Chairman