Latest Town Board Minutes
Monthly Board Meeting Minutes
October 9, 2018
Pending Board approval at the November 13, 2018 Meeting
TOWN OF BLAINE
October 9, 2018
Chairman, Vern Drake called the October 9, 2018 monthly board meeting to order at 6:10 p.m.
Present were Chairman Vern Drake, Supervisor Dan Ellefson, Supervisor Jessica Estridge, Clerk Charla Zaccardi, Treasurer Larry Holter, Ron Gallagher, Matt Holter and Ron and Sharon Proffit.
Clerk’s Report: Supervisor Estridge made the motion to approve the minutes. Supervisor Ellefson seconded. Motion approved.
Treasurer’s Report was provided by Treasurer Holter.
Expenses: Expenses were reviewed and questions about back hoe and bobcat rental were clarified. Supervisor Estridge made a motion to approve payment of the bills as submitted. Supervisor Ellefson seconded. Motion approved.
Citizen’s Input: Matt Holter reported there is a beaver in the culvert north of the “Cement Bridge” and is blocked. Tony Stesel will be contacted to trap the beaver.
- Chairman Drake noted that there is a good article on budget information in the October 2018 WTA, pages 17-18. Chairman Drake also reminded board members there is a budget working session on Tuesday, October 22, 2018 at 4:15 p.m. at Clerk Zaccardi’s home.
- Chairman Drake plans to attend the quarterly Wisconsin Town Association meeting in Siren on October 25, 2018.
Road Equipment Update: All road equipment is in good shape. Chairman Drake located a used roller road compactor in good running order for sale and thought it would be a good purchase to use for small projects on town roads and around the NCC. Supervisor Estridge made a motion to purchase this roller compactor for $1,500. Supervisor Ellefson seconded the motion. Motion approved.
Road Condition Report: Roads are in good shape. McGraw Lake Road is ready for the 2nd layer of gravel and should be done on the 15-16th of October weather permitting.
Northland Community Center:
- There will be a prime rib dinner fundraiser on Saturday, October 13, 2018 from 5 pm to 10 pm for D.O.V.R (Dairyland Outdoor Veterans Retreat) at the NCC.
- We have three flagpoles in use within our town. One at the NCC and one at each of the two cemeteries. Supervisor Estridge will look into the cost of upgrading these flagpoles.
Waste & Recycle Transfer Station: Chairman Drake shared an e-mail response he received from Jennifer Barton, Environment Specialist regarding contamination of recycle bins. She stated the Town of Blaine is in compliance from a recycling standpoint.
- Chairman Drake noted we received three bids for rock crushing. Chairman Drake opened the bids and shared the information with board members. The three bids were from Hopkins Sand and Gravel, Arlan Pope Construction and Rydberg and Sons. Supervisor Ellefson made a motion to accept the lowest bid from Rydberg and Sons. Supervisor Estridge seconded the motion. Motion approved.
- Chairman Drake will meet at the NCC every Thursday with FEMA Project Manager, Jerry Walker.
- Chairman Drake mentioned he met with Town of Blaine resident, Jim Marr, who noticed some ATV tracks within the Evergreen Cemetery. Mr. Marr has mowed a large section of the cemetery to make it more noticeable. There was some discussion of putting up more signs and possibly a fence and/or plant trees to prevent this in the future. Supervisor Estridge will check on grants that might be available to help defray costs of doing this. Supervisor Ellefson will check on signs that might be available from the ATV club.
- ATV map routes will be updated in the spring. Chairman Drake would like the board to review the current map and routes before then. Supervisor Ellefson discussed opening a section of Highway 35 and the possible process it would take. He would like to see the trail from County Road H to Markville Road opened for ATV use.
- Clerk Zaccardi contacted the Town of Arna and the Town of New Dosey regarding mowing of their road ditches. Jean Jensen, Town of Arna, stopped in and brought to the board the signed contract for this work to be done. Ron Gallagher was given road ditch mowing information from Ms. Jensen. Ron will move forward with this work as time permits for the Town of Arna. We have not heard back from New Dosey about mowing their road ditches.
ITEMS TO BE PLACED ON THE NOVEMBER AGENDA:
Supervisor Estridge made a motion to adjourn at 7:15 p.m. Supervisor Ellefson seconded. Motion passed. Meeting was adjourned.
Charla Zaccardi, Clerk
Signed and dated this _9th day of October 2018.
Vern Drake, Chairman