TOWN OF BLAINE
July 10, 2018
Chairman, Vern Drake called the July 10, 2018 monthly board meeting to order at 6:04 p.m.
Present were Chairman Vern Drake, Supervisor Jessica Estridge, Supervisor Dan Ellefson, Clerk Charla Zaccardi, Treasurer Larry Holter, Ron Gallagher, Bonnie Young, Matt Holter and Ron Proffit.
Chairman Drake showed photos of storm damaged areas to board members and others present.
Clerk’s Report: Supervisor Ellefson made the motion to approve the minutes. Chairman Drake seconded. Motion approved.
Treasurer’s Report was provided by Larry Holter.
Expenses: Expenses were reviewed. Supervisor Ellefson made a motion to approve payment of the bills as submitted. Supervisor Estridge seconded. Motion approved.
Citizen’s Input: None
- Chairman Drake attended the Burnett County Natural Resources Committee meeting June 14, 2018. Discussed at the meeting were a proposed County campground and tourism. The county campground was to be located in the Town of Swiss, but Swiss rejected it so the proposal was withdrawn.
- Chairman Drake has developed a spreadsheet of e-mail addresses for permanent and seasonal residents of the Town of Blaine. He will e-mail this spreadsheet to board members. It was suggested a sign-up sheet be available during election to help expand this resident e-mail list.
- Chairman Drake passed out 2-1-1 number cards to members. 211 is a free referral service run by the United Way that is always available. When people call 2-1-1 from any phone and tell the operator they are in Burnett County, Wisconsin, they are routed to the office serving our area. People can report damages and seek assistance in terms of information, services, or things at any time.
- Chairman Drake shared a state statutes regarding stray dogs that was published in the WTA July publication.
- We are still in the process of getting signatures on U.S. Bank cards for authorization to sign town checks.
Road Equipment Update: Road equipment is in good shape. John Deere grader inspection has been done.
Road Condition Report: Roads are all useable and passable. Gravel has been used to patch a hole on the CCC Bridge. The McGraw Lake Road project was delayed when the storm hit, but one more set of culverts will be installed soon. Town board members will meet at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 17, 2018 to take a look at the progress and discuss further action. Bids for gravel crushing will be requested before fall.
Northland Community Center:
- It was found a water valve had been stuck in the open position in the men’s room which caused some leakage in the basement. Chairman Drake installed a dehumidifier. Josh Proffit has been contacted to spray 12” of walls with a bleach solution, lubricate plumbing valves and raise and extend northwest downspout runoff pipe to carry the water further away from the building.
- The set price for the purchase of old tables and chairs would be $1.00 for medal folding chairs and $10.00 for old tables.
- Upcoming NCC events include Vacation Bible School August 6-10, 2018, a bridal shower and the Primary Election on Tuesday, August 14, 2018.
Waste & Recycle Transfer Station: None.
- Update and review of current options for State Line Road low water crossing (L-W-C)
- Seven governmental units should have a vested interest (a stake or involvement in this undertaking) in the replacement of the L-W-C: Then states of MN & WI; the counties of Pine, MN; Douglas & Burnett, WI; and the townships of Arna and Blaine.
- This L-W-C has importance and utility to all of these areas and their residents, yet as it stands now, only the Town of Blaine has looked into the matter.
- The Burnett County Highway commissioner has agreed with the idea of approaching all of the other six government units to explain the situation and the options available.
- With additional financial help there could be a possibility of replacing the L-W-C.
- If left to the Town of Blaine our options are to either leave it as is and post road closed signs at both ends of State Line Road and at the approach of the L-W-C. Chairman Drake will order Bridge Closed signs.
- Chairman Drake shared a handout on the Preliminary Damage Assessment as of June 22, 2018.
ITEMS TO BE PLACED ON THE AUGUST AGENDA:
Supervisor Ellefson made a motion to adjourn at 7:23 p.m. Supervisor Estridge seconded. Motion passed. Meeting was adjourned.
Charla Zaccardi, Clerk
Signed and dated this _10th day of July 2018.
Vern Drake, Chairman